60X Staff Shooter Dale Jones
Jul 6th 2021
Dale Jones - Franklin, Pennsylvania
Dale is a lead Nuclear Medicine Technologist at UPMC Northwest. He has been shooting his bow for 32 years and competitively since 1993 all over the country. He's been with his wife - Amy - since he was in 10th grade and they have 2 sons - Dawson & Conner. He loves to chase big whitetail bucks and climb around in the Rocky Mountains chasing elk. He plans to shoot competitively for many more years.
How did you get involved in archery?
- My dad bought me my first bow to hunt when I was 13.
How long have you been shooting?
- 32 years.
What do you like to do when you're not shooting?
- Spend time with family
- Lift Weights
Indoor or outdoor archery?
3D or target?
What is your favorite 3D target?
- The elk.
What is your least favorite 3D target?
- Ones I shoot a 5 on.
Who is your favorite competitor?
- A blast from the past - Randy Ulmer.
What is your funniest travel story?
- When I took my boys to an IBO when they were young. Conner wanted to use the potty by himself. It was clean, so I told him he could. I opened the door and he climbed up to the urinal to do #2!
What is your favorite place to eat while traveling?
- Longhorn Steakhouse.
What is your favorite archery moment of all time?
- Winning the IBO World Championship when my dad was there with me.
What is your favorite sport other than archery?
- I'm not sure. I'm too busy doing archery!
What is your favorite sports team?
- No pro sports for me! My wrestling team - The Franklin Knights!
What is your greatest accomplishment?
- In archery, winning a few pro IBO shoots.
- In life, my family - my support system.
Who was your childhood hero?
- My dad!!!
What is your hidden talent?
- I can still do a split.
What is your proudest moment?
- Marrying my wife and the birth of my 2 boys.
What is your favorite kind of music?
- Depends on what I'm doing:
- Traveling: Modern Country.
- Sitting on the Beach: Maybe some Reggae.
- Lifting: Hard Metal, the louder the better.
What are your words to live by?
- 1% better today than yesterday.
- How do you know if you don't try?
What is the coolest thing about competing in archery tournaments?
- Easily all the friends I've made. Then winning is pretty cool too.
What is your favorite tournament venue?
- Lancaster Classic. I'll win it one of these days.
What is your advice for someone just getting started in archery?
- Go find the best shooter around you. Get to know them. Show them you are all in about learning, then close your mouth and open your ears.
What are your current equipment choices?
- Bow: Hoyt Invicta 37
- Site: Axcel Achieve XP
- Scope: Schrewd Optima
- Release: Truball Hybrid Flex
- Stabilizer: Beestinger
- Rest: AAE Pro Blade
- Arrows: Goldtip (Cutters, XXX, Airstrikes)
- Strings: Of course, 60X Custom Strings, since they started.
What competitions have you won?
- Indoors: It was called the Indy Shoutout years ago in the Pro Class.
- 3D: Many IBO Indoor Worlds many times Pro & Semi-Pro. Lots of national legs, a few Pro, and lots of Semi-Pro.
Archery is a great sport that anyone can be competitive at. If you're not a physical athlete and you're not fast or can't jump high, you can still be disciplined and shoot a bow.
Want to learn more about 60X's Pro Staff? Check this out.